Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Deceased Players - Right or Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    Is this suppose to be funny?
    No, but what I do find funny is that anyone rushes to buy this stuff at ridiculously inflated prices. Nobody wanted it 'til someone died. I find this kind of morbid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    No, but what I do find funny is that anyone rushes to buy this stuff at ridiculously inflated prices. Nobody wanted it 'til someone died. I find this kind of morbid.
    Agree! Appreciate your comments and opinions. Much appreciated!

Post Re: Deceased Players - Right or Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    I don't know if I find it as morbid as I do find it silly. To be quite honest, as collectors we have seen it happen over and over again. Player X is alive price is $100. Player X dies price is $2500. Six months later....Player X still deceased price is $100.

I would hope that people would eventually wise up to what happens to the market when a player dies and not be rushing to buy the stuff at inflated prices in the first place.

I guess it's human nature though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Some people have a morbid fascination with tragedy and death. There's no sense losing any sleep over it - let them do as they will.

On a side note, I recently saw a Lidle game worn uniform on ebay for under $100 - It may still be there. Crazy to think of the money being shelled out for signed balls and cards at the time of his passing.

Interesting thread!
    You know where this is even WORSE??? The ART industry, someone dies...their stuff is now priceless!!! "wow, who painted that"???

Caminiti Died & I was on ebay reading someones Listing. The guy went on to explain how he died etc...while I agree it may have been a Shame! The Coroners Report ALSO suggested that "Significant Heart Disease was also a Contributing Factor" something like a 40% blockage. People shouldnt just focus on the worse things, but they do.

It`s offensive (like some here have suggested) when we have met & mingled with the people who are now deceased. Cammy was known to be Friendly & stopped to sign for me several times. I`m a Native San Diegan, I once watched him stop (leaving the Murph) He was on a Harley, gave this Girl a short ride around the Stadium...We were all Stunned! How much Friendlier can you get?

They (just like us) are still people, with Families, Friends, Relationships etc...I won`t sell my best Cammy Bat, NO WAY.

Sean

I Failed to answer the Question,
    WRONG, just my opinion. When it comes to the Allmighty Dollar, Ethics, Morals, Religion, may as well be forgotten, with SOME people.

Sean

just my 2 cent's the weekend befor buck o'neal died he was in chantilly va. doing a sighning i arrived late and was the 3rd to last person in line for his autograph and buck sighned my vintage worth bat as well as monte irvin, carl long, jim zapp and frank marsh, the other 2 had baseball's, so could this be the last bat signed by buck very possible! the reason i bring this up is when i found out about buck i as a collector i didn't go yeah and try to make money off my item because it became even more valuble to me and i was sad for that sweet old man and don't understand how anybody would want to try make a profit off a death of a person any person. i can understand as a seller to sell when demand is high is good business. i think it's wrong when death is involved but who's to blame the seller or the collector and his need to obtain! who cares (right or wrong) no matter how you lok at it it's just bad bussiness!!!

If you think the buyers are morbid, then YOU ARE MORBID.

It's very simple. Collectors buy things immediately after a death not because they're sick, but because they want a connection with that athlete. It's a form of paying respect. They're not gonna say, "I'm saddened that he died. I'd like to have his signed bat, but let me wait 2 months for the price to go down.."

It's not like an average fan will keep a record of prices before, right after and 2 months removed. Whatever the price is at that moment is probably the only price the buyer knows of; there are no points of comparison.

Now, without the sellers offering these items, how will the loyal fans pay their respects? So, it's more of a public service.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMan View Post
    I Failed to answer the Question,
    WRONG, just my opinion. When it comes to the Allmighty Dollar, Ethics, Morals, Religion, may as well be forgotten, with SOME people.

Sean
    10thMan, I'm guessing you're not part of those SOME people? You think you're better than the rest? I wouldn't count on it, buddy.

Funny, but I DO remember reading another post where people were willing to take money, from a lost wallet etc...Weren`t YOU one of them??? I never said anything to suggest I`m different. I wouldnt take money out of a lost wallet though.

I dont live my Life as "better than, or less than" I feel sorry for those that do, Honestly.

Personally, I own several Federal & State Licenses. I just happen to be a Notary Public, for example. There`s a reason lots of people can`t be Notaries, simply a matter of Ethics.

Those that know, are aware (busy) Notaries are presented with COUNTLESS Opportunities to scam. I was just offered 5000.00$ CASH to Notarize a Document without said Person Present. Needless to say, I didn`t do it. NOT ANYONE on this Board of Course.

Maybe I AM different, that`s something to be Proud of!
    Thanks for the Reply,
    Sean