Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

great story... grail stories always are

Re: OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

Quote Originally Posted by perlman9 View Post
    From someone who lives a few miles up north on 23, a really great story!
    Yes, Jason I believe you are a big OSU collector and from Hilliard or the Columbus area. I was waiting on one more unique item to contact the local paper. I hope they will do a story on the athletes and the items I have. Then, they can display eventually around town. As I tell people who think I'm crazy, ''I am just trying to preserve these relics of our rich sports history''. Chillicothe after all is Ohio's first and third Capital. Maybe when they are put up you can come down and take a tour of the items with me.

I just want to say thanks to everyone that has read this story and for all the kind words! John's wife had to take all the photos because I was shaking so bad. He just couldn't believe he would ever see that jersey again. Great humbled man!

Actually now on Michigan State and even closer in Roundtown!
    Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Quote Originally Posted by perlman9 View Post
    Actually now on Michigan State and even closer in Roundtown!
    Wow, I was in round town yesterday! We will have to get together after the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by swainer View Post
    Great story Bruce! That's what our hobby is all about! That's cool you're going to display it around town. I bet the thought crossed your mind to give him the jersey but it sounds like you'll enjoy the jersey just as much as he did. Congrats on the great pickup and experience!
    John, you are so correct. I took out a second mortgage to get this item. Never spent this much money on my wife the total time we have been together. We have been married 8 1/2 years. However, as I was there seeing his enjoyment, it did cross my mind to give it to him. Players in general don't care a darn thing about their equipment. Recently, they are more aware of the going rate for their game used items. They collect now more than ever. Remember Emmett Smith had it wrote up in his contract to get all of his items? If I keep it, everyone will see it including me. My man cave is a big blue Nike bag in my mom's garage on a shelf. It's now time to take it in for display. I will even get to see it more.

Quote Originally Posted by VERIS#60 View Post
    Wow, I was in round town yesterday! We will have to get together after the holidays.
    Sounds like a plan!
    Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

Wow. Great item. Even better story! One of the best holy grail stories I've heard.

Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by thesteelcurtain58 View Post
    Wow. Great item. Even better story! One of the best holy grail stories I've heard.

Congrats!!
    You are very welcome! You must be a steelers fan. I knew Steelers Hall of Fame tight end Elbie Nickel. I would go to his house and visit from time to time. Elbie played from 1947-1957. Another great humbled man! The Rooney family used to drive through Chillicothe and pick him up on there way to the Kentucky Derby. I have been so lucky. Almost all of the athletes I have mentioned I collect, I am either friends with or know on some type of level. Feel blessed...

Bruce,

What a wonderful story! This is what collecting sports memorabilia is all about - putting a smile on everyone's face. Hope that you can one day land that elusive Dave Juenger Bears jersey.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League uniforms from 1974 and 1975