Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Detroit Tigerts Helmets For Sale

Forum Readers-

Back in 1999 and 2000, I had an opportunity to purchase a large quantity of Detroit Tigers helmets and jerseys. Offered below are some of the last remaining helmets from these purchases. All are the home version (navy shell with the Old English D on front, white #'s on the reverse). All are uncracked, have complete tagging, show use and are in the same condition as last worn.

It was common practice for the Tigers to issue an older helmet for use in later years (i.e., manufactured in 1992, issued in 1994). All helmets were identified by year/player by the Tigers.

#23 Kirk Gibson. Manufactured 1/90, however, worn in his return year of 1993. Right ear flap, size 6 7/8. $595.

#26 Unknown. Manufactured 12/91. Left ear flap, size 7 1/2. $50.

#37 Unknown. Manufactured 1/94. Right ear flap, size 7 3/8. $50.

#60 Karl Allaire (spring training 1990). Manufactured 1/90. Right ear flap, size6 7/8. $65.

#62 Urbano Lugo (spring training 1990). Manufactured 1/90. Left ear flap, size 7 1/8. $65.

The package price for all helmets is $745.

Postage per helmet is $10.

Please reserve or send questions via email.

Thanks.
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Name:  Dscf1598.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  Dscf1599.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  70.4 KB

Banned

Re: Detroit Tigerts Helmets For Sale

A Forum reader has asked if the Gisbosn helmet has a left ear flap. Gibson is a left handed batter, thus, his helmet should have a right ear flap. The Gibson helmet has a right earflap (as should be), however, in the photo it is resting upon another helmet behind it that makes it appear to have a left flap. Please see the photo that shows the front of the helmets. The Gibson is placed on the left side in the photo.

Please let me know if you desire any additional photos or information on any of the helmets.

Thanks.
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    It was common practice for the Tigers to issue an older helmet for use in later years (i.e., manufactured in 1992, issued in 1994). All helmets were identified by year/player by the Tigers.

#23 Kirk Gibson. Manufactured 1/90, however, worn in his return year of 1993. Right ear flap, size 6 7/8. $595.
    Eric, with that new book you are talking about on the other section of the forum, I was wondering if you could look up the 1988-1992 Detroit Tigers and see if anyone wore #23? I am trying to match this helmet up that it belonged to Kirk Gibson, as the photo above looks like it has a left ear flap. I asked Howard to post updated photos, which I believe he will.

i just ordered the book. Don't have it yet.
    E

In 1988 and 1989, Torey Lovullo wore #23. He's a right handed hitter.
    Eric

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    i just ordered the book. Don't have it yet.
    E
    Is that your nickname? "E" ?

Cool, now I can start all conversations with you by saying, "What Up, E?"

Maybe there is a problem because there is a photo above of the back of a batting helmet with the #23 on it. This helmet is resting on another helmet, but it appears in the photo to have a left ear flap from this photo. I assume it was just poor photography.

If anyone has any reference books, I'd love to know if any players wore #23 during the time Kirk was not playing in Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Maybe there is a problem because there is a photo above of the back of a batting helmet with the #23 on it. This helmet is resting on another helmet, but it appears in the photo to have a left ear flap from this photo. I assume it was just poor photography.
    If you look at the photo of the backs of the helmets, you'll see #23 is placed directly next to #62. #62 clearly has a left earflap. Does #23 look anything like #62? Answer: No. The reason? Because #23 clearly does not have a left earflap.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

Clearly?

I see now, he has stacked the helmets so the left ear-flap that I think I see is another helmet below the #23 helmet?

I just asked for a better photo...

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Clearly?
    My bad. I meant to say clear to some.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Posters,

Mark Stang's Baseball by the Numbers" only goes up to 1992. The new book titled "Now Batting #...." includes all uniform #'s up to this year.

The baseball almanac lists Kirk Gibson as wearing a Detroit Tigers uniform #23 in 1993, 1994 and in 1995 which was his last year in the bigs.

Mark