Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Deceased Players - Right or Wrong

Question: Do you see anything wrong when a player passes away, collectors flood ebay/auctions market with that individuals cards/memorabilia, in what I feel is to take advantage of making a profit from their passing? Is this wrong? Am I reading into this too much, or is it just part of the hobby? This always bothers me when I see it. Example: Pat Tillman

Re: Deceased Players - Right or Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    Question: Do you see anything wrong when a player passes away, collectors flood ebay/auctions market with that individuals cards/memorabilia, in what I feel is to take advantage of making a profit from their passing? Is this wrong? Am I reading into this too much, or is it just part of the hobby? This always bothers me when I see it. Example: Pat Tillman

I always hate it when people try to make a quick buck when someone dies. I remember when Buck O'Neil died, and his stuff went up really high on eBay. I had a signed index card of him which he sent to me back when I use to collect TTM autographs. Instead of selling it like these other people were doing, I immediately framed it.

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10 View Post
    I always hate it when people try to make a quick buck when someone dies.
    I agree! It always bothers me when I see it happen. Not to judge others however. Just my personal view on it.

I know it is morbid.

I am a collector and not a dealer. However, let me view this through the eyes of a business man for a moment. Isn't it simply the law of supply and demand. If memorabilia is your business, and the demand is greatest for the first 24 hours after a celebrity passes, then wouldn't that be the time you would want your item listed? Afterall, it isn't like you put a contract on the guy's life.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong. Just simply looking at it through another set of eyes. Otherwise, I must agree with Kyle. When it is someone that I have had a connection with, like Buck, then all I do is cherish the item even more.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

Post Re: Deceased Players - Right or Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    I agree! It always bothers me when I see it happen. Not to judge others however. Just my personal view on it.
    I agree to a certain degree that it is wrong. However, it does also make smart business sense to strike while the demand is the greatest. I'll probably take a little heat for saying this, but I really think the key is that if it has to be done then at the very least it should be done in a tasteful manner.

I know one example was when Kirby Puckett died. Since I live in Minnesota and am a Twins fan it was especially frustrating seeing many of the items on ebay. Many had messages like "RIP Kirby, we love you" followed by "Get a beautiful Kirby Puckett game used bat for $2,500!" all in practically the same line of the auction listing.

At least don't make it so blatantly obvious and don't act heartbroken by the loss if you are only out to make a substantial profit from the situation. I'm sure many of those sellers didn't act heartbroken when they went to the bank.

Just my two and a half cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Quote Originally Posted by ahuff View Post
    I know it is morbid.

I am a collector and not a dealer. However, let me view this through the eyes of a business man for a moment. Isn't it simply the law of supply and demand. If memorabilia is your business, and the demand is greatest for the first 24 hours after a celebrity passes, then wouldn't that be the time you would want your item listed? Afterall, it isn't like you put a contract on the guy's life.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong. Just simply looking at it through another set of eyes. Otherwise, I must agree with Kyle. When it is someone that I have had a connection with, like Buck, then all I do is cherish the item even more.
    Great point! As stated, I don't want to make judgement on others. I was only curious how others see it. I guess for the seller, it would be a good time to sell (exposure). And for the buyer also, who is looking for something in reference to the individual who passed. I've never been in that situation to sell something after someone has passed, but what you have stated above makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
    At lleast don't make it so blatantly obvious and don't act heartbroken by the loss if you are only out to make a substantial profit from the situation. I'm sure many of those sellers didn't act heartbroken when they went to the bank. Just my two and a half cents.
    Tim, well said!

I have 2 Cory Lidle jerseys and a Darrent Williams helmet for sale. Excellent condition on all 3. Oops. I just found a Darryl Kile game used glove here that's available. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    I have 2 Cory Lidle jerseys and a Darrent Williams helmet for sale. Excellent condition on all 3. Oops. I just found a Darryl Kile game used glove here that's available. Let me know.
    Is this suppose to be funny?

I agree with the comment that if it has to be done, at least do it tastefully. I recall just recently when Cory Lidle passed on, there was 1 particular auction (ebay of course) that included in the title of the listing "he's dead."

But, that said, I believe that the whole thing is wrong in the first place. I don't see it as a "strike while the market is hot" scenario -- I see it more as a vultures & prey scenario.

As a goof, I took a look at ebay just after I heard the news of Lidle's plane crash. There were roughly 20 or so items of his for buy-it-now prices for an average price of $10-20. I looked back again 1 hour later, and they were all gone. I looked a day later, and some of the same items were there... now, the average price was $100. Go figure, Cory Lidle is now worth more than Albert Pujols? It was sickening to say the least.